Thursday, November 10, 2005

The update...Birmingham

After several weeks of contemplating the future of my blog, I have decided to keep it going. I know that there is probably not anyone who still reads it but it will continue anyway, mainly for the benefit of everyone I was with in California who are spread out all over the world.

The trip back from California was great. Matt and I took 10 days to drive back across the US in the trusty volvo (pictures soon). We stopped at Several national parks and even visited Seth, Travis, and the knife guy. I was ready to get out of the car by the end of the trip. 10 days is about the limit for me unless I had an RV. We rolled into Birmingham and ate a great steak dinner with my family.

So the next day I was thrust back into reality when my dad let me know he needed me to help move one of the stores (translation: Scrub the floors for 2 days with a brush). I have been working with him since then (about 5 weeks). He has retail tobacco stores on the outskirts of Birmingham. I spent 1 week working at each store and another week filing everything he has not filed for the past 10 years. Basically I am learning how everything works and trying to document it.

It has been very strange to be back in a city where everything is busy. I miss the pace of life at the ranch and realize more and more what a great experience it was to be there for nearly a year. It is great to be back to see friends and family.

So other than that nothing to exciting is going on. Jim, Kathryn (my sister) and I are going backpacking on the AT in about a week and a half. 4 days 45 miles or so. Kathryn's first real backpacking trip. We are starting near Fontana Dam in the Great Smoky Mtn. National Park. It will be cold.

I am still not sure what I am going to do long term. So that is the summary of my life right now. I will be posting pictures soon.

No comments: