Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Another Mt. Shasta Climb...

This was the first Shasta climb I have actually enjoyed. There was no snow until after horse camp. The hike to Lake Helen (10,400 ft.) was not to bad other than we arrived a little late. There were many groups camped there. Brian went with us to. It rained all night and my tent started to leak. Fortunately, my gear did not get wet. We woke up at 2am to a white out. We continued to check the weather until 6am which was the latest we wanted to start. We decided after talking to one of the forest service guys that it was ok to climb. We made good time to the summit, arriving just ahead of our turnaround time (12 noon). The trip down was fast. We glissaded most of the way. Glissading made the entire trip worth it. I felt really good after the trip. I may even want to do it again. Overall it was a great trip. I think Jim was very excited to finally make it to the summit. I got some great pictures to. Check out my photo site for more pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HARRIS! Sincerely jealous of your many hikes...glad to hear your summer's been awesome. We'll have to swap stories when you and Nolan get back to the 'ham. God's been quite busy this summer!=) We miss you and can't wait to see your beard (so start growin' it again...ha!).
Shalom my brother! We're praying for ya.